Also known as RIC hearing aids Receiver-In-Canal is aptly named because of the clear plastic tube and soft tip that sit in the canal to provide the sound to your ear. The remainder of the unit then sits behind the ear helping this hearing aid to be far more discreet than Behind-The-Ear and In-The-Ear models and typically more comfortable than in the canal versions.
This style of hearing aid is popular with most people because of it’s ease of use, comfort and performance. They offer several advantages:
• The size makes it easier to wear but will still require the ability to place the tube in the canal
• Good for all levels of hearing loss from mild to severe
• The tube in the ear provides sound without the ‘plugged’ feeling other styles can create
• Internal sounds like chewing can escape and are less noticeable and irritating
• The style and clear plastic tubing make it nearly invisible
• The separation of the receiver and unit allow for a smaller, lighter unit which can be an advantage and a disadvantage as it’s possible for them to come off and not notice they are missing
We carry the largest number of hearing aid brands in all of Canada and therefore can provide you with the largest selection of this style of hearing aid. We can offer RIC hearing aids from Phonak, Starkey, Oticon and much more.
There are pros and cons to the various models from each brand that can affect the price and some brands like Phonak offer more than one model that can vary from mid to high price ranges depending on which features you desire. Features such as rechargeable batteries, integration with your iPhone, better noise cancellation and many more.
The simple answer is we don’t know. When deciding the best hearing aid for you our hearing specialists will take several factors into consideration such as:
How active you are and the types of social situations you engage in can very much influence the type of hearing aid that is best for you and the situations you need to hear In. This is where our hearing aid specialists can assist you in determine the best hearing aid while also considering your budget. They will take the time to show you how to use your hearing aid and program it specifically for your needs.
Would you like to know more about Receiver-In-Canal hearing aids or find out if they are the best one for you? Why not book an appointment.